New year, new projects...our Master Bathroom linen closet birthed us with wire shelves, which we are slowly weeding out of our home in place of much prettier custom shelving that isn't quite so institutional. I forgot to take a photo with said shelves still installed, but if you've ever redone a closet, you know how quickly they can be removed with giddy excitement and a drill!
My handy hubs cut and sanded 1X2 and 1X6 Pine, secured the 1X2's directly into the studs and then I gave the closet a much needed coat of paint. The 1X6 boards took a bit longer, since there were more steps and I usually wait for naptimes to work with stain, paint or poly. I used one rag to apply Rust-Oleum Wood Stain in Kona and then another to wipe off the excess stain and bring out the pretty lines in the pine. I stained four boards before going back to wipe off the excess, then moved on to the next set of four boards, etc. After letting the boards dry overnight, I applied a thin layer of Minwax Polycrylic. Just one dip of the brush was the perfect amount for each board. A quick sand job between two coats of poly and the boards were complete!
I have to say, this has been the easiest install so far...an 18 gauge
finish nailer and wam bam, the shelves were installed.
Then onto the fun part, organization! I got rid of old nail polish, outdated prescriptions and cleaning products we never used. Snagged a few baskets from other areas in our home and grouped like items together. A jar from the pantry used to hold suckers and mints was the perfect place for accessible cough drops instead. One of our kiddos has to use a Nebulizer, so all of his medicine is together in one basket, including inhalers and extra tubing. Feminine products are up high since they are only needed once a month and extras in a larger bin. Toilet paper sits nicely on the tile floor.
Here's to getting even MORE organized in 2016!!