2.12.2015

3-D Coffee Filter Heart

 I needed to make something large for an open frame 
the hubs built for me and decided to try my hand at
tackling coffee filters. I  used only one stack from my 
coffee filter bag for this project with a few filters left over.

3-D Coffee Filter Heart Valentine Decor

A bottle of red reinker dye (that I have for my stamp pads)
was used along the edges. I wanted the color to flow down 
the filters so pulled out a glass of water and a straw.
I soaked the entire stack of filters until I was happy
with the color saturation and then let the stack dry overnight.
Make sure you do this on a plate, paper works fine
and you can toss in the trash when you are done.

3-D Coffee Filter Heart Valentine Decor

I was going to cut out a large cardboard heart but
saw this stiff felt one at Michael's and it was 1/2 off
so I used it as my base. Once the coffee filters were 
completely dry, I started forming them into flower 
shapes. Just fold in half and then twist the bottom 
into a little stem. You can fluff the tops if needed.

3-D Coffee Filter Heart Valentine Decor

 Once you get some flowers made up, whip out your
hot glue gun and work with one flower at a time
gluing them onto your form. Make sure you squish
each flower down a bit (without crushing) till the
glue can catch or harden. 

3-D Coffee Filter Heart Valentine Decor

After covering my heart, I went back and filled in
the spots that I thought needed a bit more fluff.
Hope you'll try your hand at a coffee filter project
the possibilities are endless!

No comments: